- air lock
- nouna chamber that provides access to space where air is under pressure• Syn: ↑airlock• Hypernyms: ↑chamber
* * *noun1. : an air space with two airtight doors or openings for permitting entrance to or exit from a sealed-off space under pressure (as a ship's stokehole) or vacuum: asa. : an intermediate chamber between the outer air and the working chamber of a pneumatic caissonb. : the chamber in an electron microscope between outer air and inner vacuumc. : the entrance chamber to a gas-proof shelter2. : a stoppage of flow (as in a pumping device) caused by air being in a part where liquid ought to circulate — compare vapor lock
* * *1. Civ. Eng. an airtight chamber permitting passage to or from a space, as in a caisson, in which the air is kept under pressure.2. the impedance in the functioning of a pump or a system of piping caused by the presence of an air bubble; vapor lock.[1855-60]
* * *air lock,1. an airtight compartment between places where there is a difference in air pressure. The pressure in an air lock can be raised or lowered.2. a decompression chamber.3. the blocking of a liquid's flow, as through a tube, caused by the presence of air.
* * *noun, pl ⋯ locks [count]
Useful english dictionary. 2012.